I just want to live while I’m alive. – Bon Jovi
I started keeping my first bucket list when I was a dreamy adolescent, in one of the spiral-bound notebooks I crammed full of lyrics, poetry, and magazine clippings of my celeb heartthrobs (Daniel Radcliffe is still hot in that white-as-paste British way.)
In addition to little childhood aspirations like “own a horse named Calypso” or “have a Disney wedding,” I had quite a few travel-related goals. It was fun to read them and realize I have accomplished several by now!
But in the ten years since I first jotted down this bucket list in my notebook, I have added extensively to it. I thought I’d share what it is now, in the hopes of documenting my progress toward the ultimate goal of actually finishing a bucket list.
P.S. Make your own bucket list here!
1. Step foot in all 50 states. (19 down; 31 to go.)
2. Step foot on all 7 continents. (5 down; 2 to go.)
3. Visit Antarctica.
5. Visit Platform 9 3/4 at King’s Cross Station.
6. See Big Ben.
7. Experience Stonehenge
8. Climb the Eiffel Tower.
9. Climb the Empire State Building.
10. Snorkel/dive the Great Barrier Reef.
11. Visit the Australian Outback
12. Participate in a lantern festival
13. Touch the Berlin Wall.
14. Visit Auschwitz in Poland
Stay in an Italian hill town (especially Tuscany)
Sleep beneath the Northern Lights
17. Stand at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.
18. Take a photo of Mt. Fuji with cherry blossoms in the foreground
19. Float in the Dead Sea
20. Visit Disney World & Harry Potter World in Orlando
21. See Ford’s Theater (where President Lincoln was shot.)
22. See Mount Rushmore
Eat gelato in an Italian cafe
24. Be in two places at once. (I was in three: Belgium, Netherlands, and Germany. I win.)
25. Stand at Land’s End, Spain
26. Eat sushi in Japan.
27. Dance at a Full Moon Party in Thailand.
28. Hike the Inca Trail.
29. Explore Macchu Picchu.
30. Join a meditation in Asia.
31. Meet the Dalai Lama.
31. Climb the Great Wall of China.
32. Ride Maid of the Mist at Niagara Falls.
Visit the tiny village of Fermoy, Ireland, to see where my ancestors lived.
34. Drive on the German Autobahn.
35. Go inside an ancient Egyptian pyramid.
36. Learn how to surf.
37. See the “real” Little Mermaid in Denmark.
38. See a Broadway show in New York.
39. Go on an African safari.
40. Visit Pearl Harbor in Hawaii.
41. Go zip-lining in a rainforest or jungle.
42. See an active volcano.
43. Be “on the steps of Notre Dame”. (Turns out this isn’t possible; there are no steps at Notre Dame. Disney lied. But I saw and toured the cathedral!)
44. Swim with dolphins.
Sunbathe at Cinque Terre, Italy.
Explore the Blue Grotto in Italy.
47. See Norwegian fjords. (Ride the Glacier Express)
48. Drink “pivo” in Prague.
49. Ride the London Eye.
50. See the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam.
51. Ride a double decker bus in London.
52. Stand at the last inch of land on Cape Horn, South Africa.
53. Watch the sun set over the Mediterranean in Greece.
54. Ride a gondola in Venice.
55. Straddle the lines of the northern and southern, and
eastern and western hemispheres.
Visit Reykjavik, Iceland.
57. See a working windmill in the Netherlands.
58. Pick a tulip in the Netherlands. (In all my travels through the Netherlands, and after LIVING THERE, I still have yet to even see a single tulip.)
59. Cliff-dive somewhere.
60. Stay in a water hut on a tropical island.
61. Climb Corcovado mountain to see Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro.
Stand on the Cliffs of Moher or Dingle in Ireland.
Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain in Rome.
64. See Bon Jovi in another country.
65. Join the GA crowd at a European Bon Jovi concert.
66. See the Seven Wonders of the World.
67. See an alligator in the Florida Everglades.
68. Experience the real Oktoberfest.
69. Touch a statue on Easter Island.
70. Visit the Taj Mahal.
71. Walk the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
72. Go shopping on Rodeo Drive, Hollywood.
73. See the toilets flush backward in the Southern Hemisphere.
74. Stand on the beaches of Normandy, France.
Ride the Schilthornbahn in Switzerland.
Explore the ruins of Pompeii.
77. See the pope in Vatican City.
78. Ask the Greek Oracle a question in Delphi.
79. Run through the hills of Austria and sing The Sound of Music. (I sort of did this in Vienna, but I still want to do it in Salzburg, and hopefully in the Alps.)
80. Visit the Galapagos Islands.
81. Be part of a “Thriller” dance mob. (And learn the rest of the Thriller dance.)
82. See the green flash at sunset.
83. Experience summer in winter. (I hereby declare that living in San Diego does not complete this one.)
Visit the Swiss Alp village of Gimmelwald.
85. See Mt. Everest – and at least step foot on Everest soil, because I don’t care to climb it.
86. Attend a Formula One race at Monaco.
87. Meet a real gypsy.
88. See a sea turtle in the wild.
89. Go kayaking.
90. Be in Times Square when the New Year’s ball drops.
91. Ride the toboggan at Neuschwanstein Castle.
92. Dance in real falling snow.
93. Ride a camel.
See the Redwoods in Northern California.
95. Go on a cross-country USA road trip.
96. Experience a white Christmas.
97. Go wine-tasting at a French vineyard.
98. Hike the Akamas Peninsula Trails to Aphrodite’s Baths in Cyprus.
99. Camp in the Colorado Rockies (and sing “Rocky Mountain High” on numerous occasions.)
100. Sky dive. Maybe.